There is a stereotype that dark colors make a room look smaller. However, black color is the exception. On the contrary BLACK or in many other languages noir, kala, Schwartz creates an effect of an infinite space. People use it in interior design very rarely, in spite of the fact that it’s the color of reserved austerity, luxury, refinement, and elegance. It is considered to be the deepest color and can create a calm and peaceful atmosphere. Here is how every room can use a little of black –
- Black is universal and can be combined with any other color. Combination of black and flamboyant colors will create bright contrasts, while black and pastel colors will look more harmonious. You can use a classic way to design with black. Just combine it with gold and white and your interior will have a royal look.
- If you add a large number of bright and multicolored accessories to a black background, your room will look gorgeous. If you combine it with decorative mirror elements, your room will look deeper. Black should not dominate in your interior. You can do it with the help of cushions, drapes, carpets, paintings and other accessories. For instance, if you want to accentuate a collection of paintings, hang them on a black wall.
- Using this sensuous color in a space – Use it as an accent wall – it’s a lovely way to be dramatic in a soft way. one can use it as a wall or as a flooring or as the drapes .One could use it as the furniture itself. Highlight a room with a black door.
- Another way to use black is to paint some part of a wall or a door with special black paint to create a chalkboard effect. Children can use such a surface to draw, while parents can write a shopping list or a plan for the day on it. If you use black eggshell paint for the walls, it will give your room an amazing look. By the way, white ceiling will match black walls perfectly. Using Black Chalkboard Paint…for Interest, Functionality and Art.
- Use black not only as paint, but in a glossy lacquered finish or a veneer or wood polished black or in some of texture.
- Black can look amazing in kitchens and bathrooms too. It’s a myth that black cannot be used in small places. Back painted glass or laminated shutters or black tiles in different patterns. Use black in the form of fittings or the basin itself .It becomes the highlight of the space.
BEDROOM FURNITURE IN BLACK – WITH A CONTRASTING PASTEL PINK WALL
BATHROOM – CUPBOARD SHUTTERS AND RUGS AND FABRICS IN BLACK CREATE A UNIQUE CONTRAST WITH THE WHITE MARBLE
BLACK FRAMES CREATING INTERESTING HIGHLIGHTS IN A ROOM
BLACK FLOORING IN A BEDROOM CREATES A COOL SOOTHING SPACE
BLACK BASIN WITH BLACK DUAL TEXTURED GRANITE CREATING A UNIQUE EFFECT IN THE BATHROOM
AN OPEN KITCHEN WITH A BLACK TEXTURED TILE WITH A BLACK LAQUERED SHUTTERS BELOW THE BLACK GRANITE COUNTER TOP.CONTRAST THE BLACK WITH GOLDEN DADO TILES AND WHITE SHUTTERS ABOVE COUNTER.
Ar.Amritha Karnakar, is the founder of the firm AKAD (Amritha Karnakar-architectural design).Graduated from Kamla Raheja Vidhyanidhi Institute of Architecture in 2008.Studied at the Berne University and specialized in Interior design for Hotels from Domus, Milan. AKAD was formed in 2010, since then they have worked on many interior, architecture, landscape projects. Work has been featured in magazines like Design Matrix and Inside outside. The designs are a concoction of symmetry and elegance with a dash of quirkiness. Believes she is a dreamer, an artist, a part time teacher and a full time student. Her philosophy strongly imbibes that a design should rise and mould itself from the urban fabric while yet etching itself onto it, architecture, landscape and interior design should blend perfectly so as to melt the barriers between inside and outside.