Leather and leatherette sofas are a great possession that add grace to your home. These luxurious sofas need a bit of extra care so that they stay fresh and beautiful.
Because we constantly gather around sofas, they are bound to get a little messy with some stains being left behind. While the light-coloured dainty sofas are easy to attract dirt, the dark-coloured ones tend to get grimy too.
But maintaining premium quality sofas requires effort and time. Avoid investing in wrong products and following wrong practices can cause more harm to your sofa.
Here are 9 tips that will help you maintain your sofa well and keep them new and stylish always.
Before beginning any cleaning routine keep the right resources at hand.
- Wipe with a soft dry cloth. You’ll need to dry wipe before bringing the routine.
- Vacuum clean all the corners of the sofa to remove fine particles like dust or fine hair before cleaning with damp cloth.
- Use the right cleansing solution. Avoid ammonia-based solutions. The strong bleach in ammonia does more harm than help in maintaining.
- Use different kinds of solutions for different stains. Use baking soda solution for general stains. Spread salt on the stains caused by wine on the area. Use cornstarch for grease stains.
- Use the cleansing solution in the right quantity. Mix water well to dilute the concentrate. In case of solutions that lather well, use foam instead of the liquid itself.
- Use regular cold water while working on stains. But for blood or similar stains, you can use lukewarm water.
- Use a soft brush to gently scrub the stains. Do not scrub hard though. If you scrub vigorously, you run the risk of spreading the stain.
- Exquisite sofas need a leather conditioner so that you can maintain the freshness of their texture and the luster of the upholstery. Use a good quality conditioner on your sofa at least once a year.
- Keep away from direct sunlight. Also keep shifting the position on the sofa within a room to break the routine of sitting at specific locations on the sofas.
Using these 9 tips to take care of your sofas will help you make them last longer and young too! Good maintenance is worth all the returns you get from investing in a luxurious sofa.