You may not have had much choice regarding chairs in your office because somebody else ordered them in bulk for the entire office.
Now, while working from home, you realize that you need the proper furniture to help you work comfortably.
But this time, your opinion and your health matter. Your body type and your specific needs matter.
So, let’s help you identify the right chair for you.
Parts of a Chair That Matter from the Point of View of Ergonomics
Laypersons know of chair types as consisting of 2 types:
- The ones with wheels for easy movement in short distance
- The ones without wheels that don’t allow for any movement
When it comes to comfort, certain other parts of the chair come into the picture. These are:
- The seat
- The backrest
- The armrest
- The lock
- The headrest
If you’re looking for a comfortable chair, you’d need to think beyond the wheels. Let’s examine these 5 criteria now.
5 Criteria to Help You Choose the Right Chair for Working from Home
1. The seat
The seat is the place you sit on. In order for a chair to be ergonomic, its seat should have 3 features:
- Adjustable height: The adjustable height can let you adjust to the height of the table and the computer screen. This adjustability will help you avoid pain in the wrist or back, and even strain in the eyes.
- Adjustable depth: The deeper the seat, the better especially for taller people. Deep seats let you relax. Narrow ones keep you on the edge of the seat.
- Adjustable angle: The seat can also be adjusted according to specific angles you may want for greater comfort.
2. The backrest
The backrest is the place you place for resting your back. Some backrests have a protrusion in the lower area to support your lower back. But a backrest must also have an adjustable height.
Adjustable height for lumbar support: The adjustable height let you rest well – not just your lower or middle back, but also your upper back as well.
3. The armrest for shoulder positioning
The armrest is where you rest your arms when you are not working on a keyboard or mouse. A comfortable armrest has 3 features:
- Adjustable width: The armrest can be widened depending on the need.
- Adjustable height: The armrest can be slided up and down as per your need and the posture you want depending on the task at hand.
- Removability: Removable armrests can be removed when not needed. This allows you to move freely.
- Material: Some armrests are padded. Depending on your health requirements like pain in the elbows, you want to have them padded.
4. Tilt tension lock for suitable seating style
A tilt tension lock lets you recline whenever you want to. Without this feature, you’ll find yourself sitting upright all the time without being able to relax.
5. The headrest
The headrest above the backrest on a chair lets you rest your head when you are in a watching or listening mode. Such occasions may not require you to have your arms extended on the desk. A headrest can let you relax in such moments.
You can read the features of the chairs being shown to you and choose accordingly. You are now empowered with a list to make the right choice so that you can continue to work from home comfortably.
Let us know if you have any specific questions.